28.5.08

Day 5 April 30, 2008 Wednesday

STILL IN BARCELONA

I think that I all too often write about WHAT is happening rather than HOW I'm doing. I need to change this because I run out of time in telling my stories. So I shall start with the how.

:) How am I doing? Well, I'm not sure. I've probably had many a mood swing lately. Sometimes I get really homesick, sometimes I just LOVE living in the moment, seeing the most beautiful things. As of now-- I'm doing pretty good. However, this morning I woke up completely wanting to go home. I was pretty pissy actually, I'm not sure how Tina put up with me. But a little shopping sure did the trick.

After we came back from our run YESTERDAY, we showered and saw the park that Gaudi designed. Park Guell. AMAZING. It was probably one of the coolest things about Barcelona. (Pictures to come.)

On our way back from the park, we stopped at a cafe and the waiter told Tina that "her face wasn't from here." We then visited the Segrada Famila and it was pretty awesome. (Pictures, pictures.) While we were going up to the tower, there happened to be two Italian guys in front of us. They were really friendly and we told them that we studied in Perugia. They didn't know how to take a picture though. After the Segrada Famila, we got some cornettos at the park across the street. We then proceeded to walk for TWO HOURS back to the beach for some dinner. (We wanted seafood.) Since we took the metro over to Park Guell and then walked from the Park to the church, we didn't realize how far away we were from the beach and hostel. I can't believe we walked the whole way. Before we knew it the sun went down and we were getting lost at some points (at least I felt that we were lost, but tina is pretty good with directions) and after finding some dead ends and a never ending park, we eventually got to a restaurant that looked "good enough." To be quiet honest, the food in Spain... is not up to par. However, this restaurant had the FC Barcelona vs Man U game on for the Champions League! It was awesome, because they had a big screen projecting the game and there were lots of Spaniards there smoking and drinking and yelling at the screen. I joined in on the yelling part and it was so much fun. Barcelona lost, but it was still a great experience. We then had to walk a couple miles home after our late dinner, and the walk wasn't so much fun... a story, not for this blog... And then we went right to sleep.

So that was yesterday. Today, is when I woke up homesick and shopped. We visited two other buildings that Gaudi designed, which weren't as cool as what we saw yesterday. The "tall skinny, semi-nice looking guy" (who actually is Australian) and i mentioned in a previous blog, actually works at Hello BCN. He recommend a restaurant by the beach. So we stopped there and it was pretty cool. We got to meet some genuine Spanish culture. Then we laid out on the beach for about an hour. It was a good afternoon. In the evening we were going to watch some flamenco dancing, but we couldn't find the place we needed to go to. Tina and I still had a fun night though. We went out and just walked around the city and sat for a bit. She is so much fun and great to travel with. We have good times.

Sorry, that was a quick run down. Tomorrow we will travel to Valencia and I'm looking forward to it.

So right now we are rooming with two French gals. They are currently talking in really fast French. Tina says that they think we are stupid, but i'm not so sure. I know that people say that is the general attitude of the French toward Americans, but I choose to give these girls the benefit of the doubt. Of course if you giggle a lot and speak really fast, mumble, make no sense, often tell them that you are confused, and don't make an attempt to figure out what they are trying to remember (the english words), then that might give the French that vibe.

Anyways, before I go to bed. I can't believe that I'm actually here. It's almost done. I've worked so hard-- got things done to come to Europe-- and now I am here.

There are some things that I've been meaning to write about:

First impressions. First impressions suck because a lot is built on such things which shouldn't be judged. First impressions are actually a let down. A single person cannot reveal all of themself in such a short moment. Yet so much is built on it.

Take "tall skinny, semi-nice looking Australian guy" for an example. When I first met him, I was annoyed and thought that all he wanted to do was drink and get girls. (He talked about drinking the first time we met him.) But in actuality, he is a really nice guy, and although he is a flirt, he's just curious. All he wanted to know was where I was from. But he was nice and referred Tina and I to a cool restaurant today. I was just in a bad mood the first time I met him.
I think that essentially, all we really know is the surface of a lot of the people around us. It's a good question to ask yourself... Do you really "know" your friends?

I mean, relationships are the most important thing in a person's life... right?

No comments:

Post a Comment